Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Have you ever had an AHA! moment?

I was sitting in a meeting the other day with a group of educators and we were discussing ways to integrate technology and the curriculum seamlessly that would make teachers more comfortable and less likely to run. When I say run I am talking about full bore sprinting away from using technology in the classroom.
Talk came round and round to the same point that teachers are overwhelmed with the everyday tasks that are put on them and sometimes can not get their head above water. I have numerous friends that say it is all they can do sometimes just to get kids to sit down in their seats let alone try to introduce them to curriculum that has a technological component to it. "When do I have time to learn," some say. "If you do not show me how I can use it in my subject area I will never use it after the training," are what others say.
So comes the AHA moment. I get it now where it had not really clicked before. I have been going into school after school showing these educators the technology, over and over again until I can recite verbatim the training in my sleep. I don't need props anymore because it is so repetitive that I seem to sleep through everything.

So now comes the retraining of the trainer. I now have to relearn what I have learned so that I can make it viable for everyone that I am working with. Personalize it as some would say so that it makes sense to the educators that are sitting there like their students. I am not sure how it is going to go, or what changes I will make. Stay tuned for my personal journey to make life easier for the 20th Century teacher in a 21st Century classroom.

No comments: